Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I hate my job. I know, it's been said before, but unfortunately in this instance I'm probably in agreement with at least ninety percent of the working population. I hate ungrateful customers who won't lift a finger to scratch their own ass. I hate liars and frauds and cheats who try to 'get one over' on the insurance company. I hate this office, with it's florescent lighting and dirty green carpet. I hate my boss with his inability to do anything at all, including buying some goddamned paper towels and coffee at Wal-mart without me spoon feeding it to him. Most of all, I hate my no-work-ethic-having, calling-in-sick, lazy-ass motherfucking co-workers.

Now, that venom all spewed out in the open, here's my dilemna:

I get paid quite a bit for this job. Enough so that I'm having a hard time changing jobs without taking a pretty harsh pay cut. The family won't starve if I did this, but our Cozumel trips and weekly dinners out would come to a screeching halt for a while. And I'm pretty sure amazon.com, oldnavy.com, and penneys.com would no longer know me on a first name basis. I might even have to let go of the platinum visa for a while. Well, scratch that last bit, I won't be POOR, just not living up to my usual quality of life. Yes, this sounds snotty to me and like a no brainer. BUT at what point is your mental happiness worth those extra zeroes at the end of your paycheck?

It should be never, right? But that's not the case at all. Not for me, and not for tons of other people out there, counting down the days each week until Friday. Then trying to cram a weeks' worth of life into the next two days.

3 comments:

Special K said...

Girl I had to make this same decision a few years ago.
Am I happy with it? Most of the time. Yeah there are times it really bites me in the ass when I have to "think" about spending money. And I do tend to whine to myself about having to watch every penny sometimes. But at the end of the day, it is give and take and what you can live with and without but happiness is the cherry on top, without that it is all ice cream and cool whip.

Special K said...

You know what? That was a horrible analogy but ice cream and cool whip are the best parts. HEE!

Groovn-girl said...

I know. I've been vacilating on this one for about five years. Instead of quitting, I just keep digging the hole deeper. I like my life. I enjoy the ability to go out to a nice dinner without worrying about money. I honestly don't know if a job change (and a paycut) would make me feel any happier, or if I would just somehow find myself in the same rut eventually-only without the sexy new shoes! :-)